Monday, March 18, 2013

Long distance ride on Sunday

The students dropped me off in Mainz, a city north of Mannheim. I had to stand in the rain/snow for 1,5 hours before I was able to hitch a ride. At the time I was warming my hands on a cup of coffee inside a gasstation and a guy, Tom, saw my backpack and my, by now famous, "away" sign. He asked me if Munich was away enough and I replied with a Hell Yeah. The ride was 436km and the route can be seen here: http://backtrackdtour.com/share/map.html?userId=7441357&trackId=2630568&locale=en_US&units=metric I've been playing around with the bushnell backtrack d-tour GPS and I must say it's an awesome device. Very easy to use and small enough to stuff away in your pocket. After a trip I'll just plug it into the usb port of my laptop and upload the route to google maps from where I can share it to facebook, and hopefully my blog. When I arrived in Munich at 20:30 in the evening my first priority was to find a place to sleep. Luckily for me I found the 'wombat hostel' which is allot cheaper than the hostel in Cologne, and the quality of everything is comparable to most hotels. At first the plan was to hitchhike further south and try to make it into Austria today but it's currently freezing there, which isn't that pleasant while standing next to the highway or having to sleep in a tent. So I booked another night at the hostel and will be exploring Munich today, starting with a free guided 4 hour tour organized by the hostel. This also gives me some time to figure out where to go next.

No comments:

Post a Comment