Saturday, March 16, 2013

On the road at last!

15-03-2013 After one last night in my local pub with all my friends it was finally time to go. I boarded the train to Utrecht and from there I took the train to Cologne. Right next to me in the train was a mother with twins, two five year old boys. At first I was annoyed by their very active behaviour but after twinty minutes they calmed down and started talking to me. Before departure they went up to their mum and asked if I could be their new dad, which made her face turn bright red. When I arrived in Cologne I was hoping that I would have had a response on couchsurfing, but sadly that wasn’t the case. The only responses I got were people who said they allready had someone staying over for today, so my first mission in Cologne was finding a place to sleep. I went to the Tourist Information across the mainstation and when I asked if they knew of any cheap hostels the girl behind the desk looked worried. Apparently there are some big events in Cologne today that I didn’t know of and the entire city is almost fully booked. Luckily there was a bed left in a hostel just outside the city center called the Black Sheep Hostel. The downside of this is that it set me back 30 euro’s. I got myself a bed in a six person dorm and share the room with some nice people. After I ditched my backpack I went for a walk through the city to see some sights. When I went back to the hostel I checked couchsurfing again and saw there was a meetup on the other side of the city. After 1,5 hours of walking I managed to find the cafe where the couchsurfers of cologne met up. We had a few drinks and talked about random stuff all night and when it was time to go home I got offered a car-ride back to the hostel by a girl who also said that if I wanted to stay another day in Cologne I could sleep on her couch. The next day the weather was looking good so I decided to hitch out of the city. After 2 hours of walking I finally found a place where I could hitch a ride and after 20 minutes I got my first ride ever. I got dropped off around 60km south of Cologne at a gasstation on the longest highway of Germany, the a3, that leads to Munnich. Im currently typing this from the gassstation as they offer 1 hour of free WiFi. I have yet to figure out where I'd go from here...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chris,
    Dat ziet er goed uit! Gaaf dat je op de bonnefooi door Europa gaat reizen, dat zal je veel ervaringen geven. Ook mooi om andere culturen en mensen te leren kennen. Wij zijn toevallig vandaag de A3 terug gereden vanuit Oostenrijk...
    Veel plezier op dit avontuur!!
    Groeten (oom) Maarten ;-)

    ReplyDelete