Friday, March 1, 2013

Nightmare in the dunes

The weather finally agreed with my plans to go camping in the local dunes so yesterday I went for it. I called a friend who was up for some camping and together we got on our bikes. He brought his tent and I brought my bivy. The temperature started to drop quickly so we set up camp. All went well up until this point. When the time came to call it a day and go to sleep I crawled nice and comfy in my sleeping bag and sealed my Sierra Designs Baffin Bivy. I quickly fell asleep but after 45 minutes to an hour I woke up due to breathing difficulties. I left a slight opening in the bivy but there wasn't enough air in the bag for me to breath calmly, which scared the crap out of me. After that I noticed that everything inside my Bivy was damp due to condensation. The bivy should be breathing, but sadly this wasn't the case last night. I crawled out of the bivy and placed my sleeping bag in the tent. Sadly at this point my sleeping bag was also very damp and cold and I couldn't get warm again. I accepted my defeat and we went home again. Apparently you're not supposed to wear lot's of clothing inside a bivy so next time I won't wear as many layers of clothing. It wasn't a pleasant experience but I hope to have learned enough to succeed next time I try sleeping in a bivy. I brought my camera with me, but by the time we found the spot it was already dark so I couldn't take any pictures. Well that's about it for this update, keep an eye out for new updates coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment